Signs Of End Times
Two Characteristics Of The End Of The Age
New Page 1
Signs of end times – Two Characteristics of the last days from Apostle Paul
A. GODLESSNESS IN THE LAST DAYS
II Timothy 3:1-5,7"But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come. For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good, treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of god; holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power; always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth."
This is a picture of future society—a terrible picture of what the last days of human history will be like. But note a shocking fact: it sounds very much like the society of today.
We just do not think of our day as being so terrible; we seldom sit down and study the godless marks of society. But this is exactly what this passage does: it discusses the godless marks of the last days, marks that come close to painting a picture of our day and time. This fact points to signs of end times in our day as being part of the last days.
It is very possible that the Lord's return is at hand. One thing is sure, we must do just what Christ said: be prepared for His return, for He can return at any moment.
For anyone who has watched television, read a newspaper, lost a retirement to corporate greed and corruption, or just walked outside their front door, it is obvious this prophecy has been fulfilled by our generation. Our leaders are often corrupt; our cities are filled with crime, brutality, and neon signs proclaiming our sinful, godless nature. The New Age Movement brings in increasing numbers of mystics who claim to be the enlightened ones. They are some of the most educated and influential people in our societies, and yet the most lacking in real truth.
1. People will be lovers of their own selves: this does not mean the normal and natural love of life and of oneself that we should all have. It means selfishness and self-centeredness, signs of end times.
2. People will be covetous: the word means lovers of money and possessions. People will want more and more and bigger and bigger and better and better, and they will seldom be satisfied with what they have.
3. People will be boasters: braggarts, pretenders, vaunters, swaggerts. Signs of end times will be the person who boasts in what he has and pretends to have what he does not have or to do what he has not done.
4. People will be proud: self-exaltation, conceit, arrogance; being haughty; putting oneself above others and looking down upon others; scorn, and contempt. It means to show oneself; to lift one's head above another; to hold contempt for another; to compare oneself with others. Pride can be hidden in the heart as well as openly displayed.
5. People will be blasphemers: the word means to slander, insult, rail, revile, reproach, curse. Blasphemy is usually thought to be against God, and it is. But with signs of end times it is also a sin against men. Men can blaspheme men.
6. People will be disobedient to parents: refusing to do what one's parents say; rebelling against one's parents; showing disrespect to parents; rejecting parental instruction; dishonoring parental example.
7. People will be unthankful: no sense of gratitude or appreciation for what one has and receives; no giving of thanks to God or man. As signs of end times many persons feel that the world and society or business and government owe them the good things of life.
8. In signs of end times people will be unholy: profane, indecent, shameless, given over to the most base passions, being blind to modesty, decency, purity, and righteousness.
9. People will be without natural affection: abnormal affection and love; heartless, without human emotion or love; a lack of feeling for others; abuse of normal affection and love.
10. People will be trucebreakers: breakers of promises and agreements; untrustworthy, faithless, treacherous, and untruthful. A trucebreaker is a man or some organization or body of people who tragically do not keep their word or promise. They are simply untrustworthy and undependable.
11. People will be false accusers: slanderers. Note that the Greek word is diabolos, the very word for the devil.
12. People will be incontinent: undisciplined and uncontrolled; having no self-control or no power to discipline. Sure signs of end times.
13. People will be fierce: savage and untamed. It is the word that describes the savage beast of the wild that is unrestrained in its fierceness. It is a word that should never be true of people, yet tragically it is. Never in the history of the world have men become as fierce and savage as they are today.
14. People will be despisers of those who are good: this refers to people despising both good people and good things.
15. People will be traitors: betraying a trust refers to a person who...
• betrays his country
• betrays his team
• betrays his friends
• betrays his family
16. People will be heady: headstrong and reckless, rash and hasty—all without giving thought to the consequences. Reckless is probably the best description.
17. People will be highminded puffed up and conceited; having feelings of self-importance. More sure signs of end times.
18. People will be lovers of pleasure more than lovers of God.
Oliver Green says, "The average church member today does not allow the church service to come between him and his pleasure. Prayer meeting, revival or church duties no longer interfere with social activities. Almost any minister in this country would agree with this, for it is the simple truth that the average church member does not let church interfere with his social life nor with anything he or she wants to do in the line of pleasure" (The Epistles of Paul the Apostle to Timothy and Titus, p.339f).
B. APOSTASY (FALLING AWAY FROM THE FAITH)
I Timothy 4:1-3"But the spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons. By means of the hypocrisy of liars seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron, men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth."
Churches today are becoming more and more ecumenical, embracing the New Age interfaith agenda, and denying Christ as the only way to salvation. Giving in to the politically correct media and a corrupt society, they have embrace homosexuality as an acceptable alternate lifestyle and preach tolerance and compromise in place of God's truth for the salvation of the world. The environmentalist movement within the New Age movement lures them into a worship of mother earth, belief in past lives, reincarnation, and Karma while demonizing all those who would eat the meat God gave us as nourishment for our bodies.
Return FROM signs of end times -Two Characteristics of last days TO Site Map
Return FROM Two Characteristics of the end of the age TO Are we living in the last days?
GO TO – Signs are setting the stage for the tribulation
GO TO – Recognizing signs pointing to the end times
GO TO – Six signs given by Jesus
GO TO – 12 fulfillments of Bible prophecy still required
GO TO – Expect delusions and deceptions